Not Chosen, Just Posin'

I just got a job with a Jewish magazine. I'm not Jewish. They think I am.


Tuesday, July 18, 2006


This note was not left on my desk this morning, but wouldn't it be kind of freaky if it was?

It's quite the opposite, in fact. I don't walk around on eggshells wondering whether people are on to my little jig. And I don't act like an outsider. I might seem a little overeager to listen in on subjects that are foreign to me ("Last Friday at temple..." Or, "I have to marry a Jewish man or my parents will kill me!"), but most of what we discuss is not religion-related. It's concept-related. Or sometimes even work-related. Go figure, eh?

One 'Jewish versus Non-Jewish' comparison that I've noted, however, is that Jewish women - as far as I can tell, at least - do not dolt on their children like, say, my mom did to myself and my brothers. The majority of mothers that I've seen talking to their kids, do so as if their children are not actually human, but rather, cute kittens; asking them questions and then simultaneously answering them for the child.

Mom: "You like your new toy don't you?"
Mom: "Yes you do! I know you do."

And the faces they make? Holy shit, the kid must be scared out of his cotton-pickin' mind!

On the other end of the spectrum lies the Jewish woman. Two women in my office bring their kids into work with them every now and then (Couldn't find a babysitter? I don't know.) I can't explain how refreshing it is to hear them addressing their children as humans, rather than cats. I know that education is a huge part of the Jewish agenda and I would guess that this approach furthers that goal. Of course, all of my observations are limited to my little microcosm, so do with them what you will.

In other news: As for the few nasty comments/emails I have received - one even alluding that I'm only a step-up from Hitler! - I laugh at your simpleton minds. The mere mention of one religion by a member of another frightens you? Oy vay!

On that note, it is day 5 and yes, I still hate my job.

eXTReMe Tracker