Not Chosen, Just Posin'

I just got a job with a Jewish magazine. I'm not Jewish. They think I am.


Wednesday, August 09, 2006

My First Knish

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

"A knish is a Eastern European snack food, popular in Jewish communities. A knish consists of a filling covered with dough that is either baked or fried. Knishes can be purchased from street vendors in urban areas with a large Jewish population, sometimes on a hot dog stand."

At the age of twenty-seven I finally received my first knish. Most of my peers had knished way before this, some in their teens and some even in their pre-teens.

Not knowing what to expect, my friends and I used to practice knishing. We wanted to make sure we'd be well-prepared for the big day. Sometimes we'd practice by rendezvousing with Indian samosas and other times we'd practice with Polish pierogis. But it wasn't until I had the real thing that I knew what I was missing out on.

My first knish came from a girl known as Aleeza. Her name in Hebrew means "Joy," and by this, I am not surprised. Her real name is Rachel, but changed it unofficially in Hebrew School. When I didn't have lunch yesterday, she did. She gave me a knish for all to see. This was her way of showing me that she thought I was swell too.

I told Aleeza that the knishes might benefit from just a bit of soy sauce. She agreed and 'spun the bottle' right to me. We both sauced up our knishes and continued knishing all through lunch. My first knish was but a brief experience, not much by today's standards... but, at least I can now say that I have been knished.

eXTReMe Tracker