Not Chosen, Just Posin'

I just got a job with a Jewish magazine. I'm not Jewish. They think I am.


Thursday, October 19, 2006


Last night I hung out with a friend from college. He works in the city as an art director at another magazine. When I was looking for a job I asked him about openings at his magazine, but there was nothing. That's probably a good thing though because the owners there make the Publishers here look not only sane, but completley functional. This is saying a lot.

He told me that the editorial staff at his office was considering walking out last week because their paychecks have been late two times. Every other Friday their boss hands them their checks, but tells them they can't cash them until Tuesday. And, when they do cash them, they have to do it at the bank from which they were drawn, etc... Stuff like that.

Anyway, point of the story: He thinks the current editor is going to leave any day now and asked me if I'd be interested in the position. He's already mentioned me to his boss, etc... My immediate reaction was interest, but then I thought about it and, well...no.

At this point, he reminded me that I have to pretend I'm Jewish at this magazine. I countered that I don't really feel that way anymore. He finds the situation pretty odd. I reminded him that he gets a piece of paper with a dollar amount on it every Friday but can't do anything with it until Tuesday. I find that situation pretty odd.

Thanks anyway, though.

eXTReMe Tracker