Not Chosen, Just Posin'

I just got a job with a Jewish magazine. I'm not Jewish. They think I am.


Tuesday, January 09, 2007


Something interesting happened yesterday. No, I’m not talking about the fact that one of my coworkers is in the process of hiring a detective because she thinks her father is cheating on her mother and she wants photographic evidence (more on that later, though). Rather, I was googling a few of the names for the fictional magazine in my book and I came up with an odd result.

My query was: “The Jewish Something” and the top result was this:
www.google.com/explanation.

Here’s an excerpt from the very detailed, albeit not overly long, explanation:

“If you use Google to search for "Judaism," "Jewish" or "Jewish people," the results are informative and relevant. So why is a search for "Jew" different? One reason is that the word "Jew" is often used in an anti-Semitic context. Jewish organizations are more likely to use the word "Jewish" when talking about members of their faith. The word has become somewhat charged linguistically, as noted on websites devoted to Jewish topics…”

Evidently the use of the term “Jew” versus “Person of a Jewish persuasion,” or otherwise, is a pretty serious matter. That was one of the first things that my Jewish friends told me when I started the site. I didn’t, at that point, fully realize the word’s negative connotations. Guess, this further confirms it.

Anyway, thought I’d share.

eXTReMe Tracker