Not Chosen, Just Posin'

I just got a job with a Jewish magazine. I'm not Jewish. They think I am.


Wednesday, August 23, 2006

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting



So, I’ve broken the Silent Designer’s, well, silence.

I don’t know what came over me, actually. I’m not usually confrontational, but I really wanted to know if he was planning to leave or not. After all, his slightest movement affects all of us—especially if he decides to take off near the time we go to print. When you work for a small company, any sudden change can throw a wrench in the system. A sick day? We’re very much screwed. That’s to say that, no, I probably shouldn’t be writing a blog right now (noted), but if I die of boredom, they will be even more S.O.L. That’s kind of my little rationalization anyway.

As it were, we ended up in the bathroom at the same time, so I had the perfect opportunity to ask him about it (after he was done, of course).

Long story short, he’s sick of the Publisher’s wife. How did I know that?

A couple of weeks ago, probably about the same time that the other designer discovered the Silent Designer’s resume on his computer, the Publisher’s wife pulled the Silent Designer aside and said, “I need you to design an invitation for my JCC group’s get-together.” She didn’t ask; she told. The Silent Designer told her that he’d do it when he was done designing his portion of the magazine. Makes sense to me.

I applaud him for biting his tongue, really. I would have easily told her that wasn’t my job, followed by a detailed account of where she could shove her JCC invitation.

From there, the Publisher’s Wife reported this response to her husband. The Publisher took the torch, telling the Silent Designer just to get to it when he could. Notice that he didn’t apologize for his wife (because she’d probably smack him around later if he did). According to the Silent Designer though, the publisher did give him a look that said, “You think you’ve got it bad, I deal with this every day of my life.” The Silent Designer said not to quote him on that though.

So, yes, the Silent Designer is looking for a new job. A more corporate one, at that. I tried to entice him with a subtle reminder that SuperJew would be gone in just two days. He laughed. He completely gets it.

The Publisher’s Wife on the other hand, she is working miracles here. She’s fired the highest grossing account executive and now she’s driving out a potential ally. Furthermore, can’t she just get the stock invitations at Target? Who the hell does she think she is?

eXTReMe Tracker